Does Agile Management require different skills than normally expected in non-Agile environment? Probably.
Does Agile Management require different skills than ones that will make a project successful? Certainly Not.
Lets see what is Agile to start with:
- Develop in small increments [provide value early, get feed back early],
- Focus on individuals and their interactions [make it fun, easy and great to work together],
- Get customer involved [early feedback, early delivery, course correction] and,
- Inspect, adapt and change rather than perish
From what I have read, heard, seen, discussed and experienced, I think there are 05 rules of good management [or management if you prefer]:
1. Focus on outcomes, objective and what you want done [destination]
2. Explain clearly what paths you do not want to be taken with the reason and get everyone’s buy in for that [know where to draw the line]
3. Maintain positivity, enthusiasm and stay in the background [don’t be source of melancholy or threat]
4. Understand each member of your team, their aspirations and try and enable them to do what they would enjoy doing the most [you can manage only what you know]
5. Make team work important, valued and fun [teams can get more done than an individual – most of the time]